Prof. Gikuru Mwithiga Publications
Publications in Journals
- EL-Mesery, HS, Mwithiga, G.. (2014) Mathematical Modelling of Thin Layer Drying Kinetics of Onion Slices Under Hot-air Convection, Infrared Radiation and Combined Infrared-Convection Drying. Advances in Environmental Biology, 8(20) Special 2014, Pages: 1-19
- EL-Mesery HS, Mwithiga, G. (2014) Specific Energy Consumption of Onion Slices During Hot-air Convection, Infrared Radiation and Combined Infrared-Convection Drying Journal of Applied Science and Agriculture. 9(20) Special 2014, Pages: 13-22, ISSN 1816-9112
- El-Mesiry H.S. and Mwithiga G (2014) Performance of a Convective, infrared and Combined Infrared- convective Heated Conveyor-belt Dryer. Journal of Food Science and Technology, DOI 10.1007/s13197-014-1347-1
- Mwithiga G., Magama P. and Hlophe M. (2013).Humidity control systems for wine maturation structures. Advanced Materials Research Vol. 824 (2013) pp 301-310 (2013) Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland doi:10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.824.301.
- Mwithiga G. (2013). The potential for second generation bio-ethanol production from agro-industrial waste in South Africa. African Journal of biotechnology, 12(9):871-879. Available online at http://www.academicjournals.org/AJB, DOI: 10.5897/AJB12.305, ISSN 1684–5315.
- El-Mesiry H.S. and Mwithiga G. (2012). The drying of onion slices in two types of hot-air convective dryers. African Journal of Agricultural Research. 7(30): 4284-4296, DOI: 10.5897/AJAR11.2065,ISSN 1991-637X.
- El-Mesery, H.S. and Mwithiga, G. (2012). Comparison of a gas fired hot-air dryer with an electrically heated hot-air dryer in terms of drying process, energy consumption and quality of dried onion slices. African journal of agricultural research. 7(31): 4440-4452, DOI: 10.5897/AJAR12.614, ISSN 1991-637X.
- Mwithiga, G., Mazwiduma, P.J. and Tsopito, C.M. (2012). Alternative methods of harvesting and storage of grass biomass in a semi-arid region. African journal of agricultural research, 7(14: 2166- 2173, DOI: 10.5897/AJAR11.1517.
- Mwithiga, G. and Mwangi, S.G. (2009). Analysis of fish fillet drying rates under three solar energy drying systems. . In Advances in Materials and Systems Technologies vols. 62-64 pp518-524, Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland.
- Mwithiga, G. and Fondo, E.C. (2009). Mechanical expression of oil from grated and preheated coconut meat. Botswana Journal of agriculture and applied sciences. 5(1):101-106.
- Mwithiga, G. and Kirui, A.C. (2007).Potential of Nightsky Nocturnal Radiative Cooling as a Fresh Produce Preservation Method. In Advances in Materials and Systems Technologies ISBN / ISBN-13: 0-87849-450-2 / 978-0-87849-450-7, Vol 18-19:325-330. Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland.
- Mwithiga, G. and Moriasi, L. (2007). A study of yield characteristics during mechanical oil extraction from preheated and ground soybeans. Journal of Applied Sciences Research. 3(10): 1146-1151.
- Mwithiga, G and V.K. Jindal. (2007). Changes in properties of coffee brew due to roasting. World Applied Sciences Journal. 2(5):527-535.
Mwithiga, G., Mukolwe, M.I., Shitanda, D. and Karanja, P.N. (2007). Evaluation of the effect of ripening on the sensory quality and properties of tamarilo (Cyphomadra betaceae) fruits. Journal of Food Engineering, 79(1): 117-123.
- Mwithiga, G and Mwania, J.M. (2006). Influence of sial-fibre content on the tensile and bending strength of sisal-epoxy composites. Journal of engineering and applied sciences. 1(4):508-513, 2006.
- Mwi, Gthiga. and Sifuna, M.M. (2006). Effect of moisture content on the physical properties of three varieties of sorghum seeds. Journal of food engineering. 75(4):480-486.
- Mwithiga, G. and Kigo, S.N. (2006). Performance of a solar dryer with limited sun tracking capability. Journal of food engineering. 74(2):247-252.
- Mwithiga, G. and Olwal, J.O. (2005).The drying kinetics of kale (Brassica oleracea) in a convective hot air dryer. Journal of food engineering. 71(4):373-378**.
- Mwithiga, G and V.K. Jindal. (2004). Coffee drying in a rotary conduction-type heating unit. Journal of Food Process Engineering. 27(2):143-157.
- Mwithiga, G and V.K. Jindal. (2003). Physical changes during coffee roasting in rotary conduction-type heating units. Journal of Food Process Engineering. 26(6) pp.543-558.
Presentation of Papers at Academic and Professional Conferences
- Mwithiga, G: 1987. Soil conservation methods: National soil conservation workshop,outspan Hotel, Nyeri, November 1987
- Mwithiga, G. 1988. Tractor testing procedures: Farm mechanization workshop, Branchest Hotel, Limuru, November 1988.
- Mwaura, E.N. and G. Mwithiga. 1990. A thin layer drying equation for pyrethrum flowers: Proceedings of the 1990 Kenya Society of Agricultural Engineers (KSAE) annual seminar, Kabete Campus, University of Nairobi.
- Mwaura, E.N. and G. Mwithiga. 1991. Prediction of pyrethrin loss during drying of pyrethrum flowers, Proceedings of the 1991 Kenya Society of Agricultural Engineers (KSAE) annual seminar, JKUAT.
- Mwithiga, G. and C. I. Nindo. 1992. Review of drying and milling processes for increased head rice yields, Proceedings of the Mechanization of rice farming in Kenya seminar, JKUCAT.
- Mwithiga, G. and V.K. Jindal. 1997. Coffee drying in a rotary conduction-type heating unit; Proceedings of the XXXII annual convention of Indian Society of Agricultural Engineers, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana - 141 004.*
- Mwithiga, Gikuru and V.K. Jindal. 2003. Modeling coffee drying using product time-temperature history. Proceedings of the 3rd Asia-Pacific Drying Conference edited by Jindal et al., (Bangkok, Thailand, 1-3 September 2003), Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand, pp. 427-436.*
- Mwithiga, G. and Kirui, A.C. (2006).Potential storage of Nocturnal radiative energy for preservation of fresh produce. International Conference on Engineering Research & Development: Impact on Industry (ICER&D 2006), held on 5-7 Sep 2006, University of Benin, Nigeria.*
- Mwithiga, G. and Mwangi, S.G. (2008). Analysis of fish fillet drying rates under three solar energy drying systems. International Conference on Engineering Research & Development: Inovation (ICER&D 2008), held on 15-17 April 2008, University of Benin, Nigeria.*
- Potential for liquid bio-fuel production in Southern Africa. International Conference on Engineering Research & Development: Impact on Industry (ICER&D 2010), held on 7-10 Sep 2010, University of Benin, Nigeria.*
Books/Book Chapters Published
- Mwithiga, G. and Nindo, C.I. (2011). Infrared Drying. In Ed. Zhongli, Pan and Griffiths Gregory Atungulu (2011) Infrared Heating of Food and Agricultural Processing, Taylor and Francis Group, LLC, isbn/9781420090970.
- Mwithiga, G. (2007). Research Trends in Modeling, Optimization and Control of the Drying Operation. In Food Engineering Research Developments, ISBN: 1-60021-906-3, Edited by Klening, T.P. Nova Science Publishers, USA, pp. 133-166.