Dr. Mark Otieno Publications
Publications in Journals:
- Döke, A.M., McGrady, C.M., Otieno, M., Grozinger, C.M. and Frazier, M. (2018) Colony Size, Rather Than Geographic Origin of Stocks, Predicts Overwintering Success in Honey Bees (Hymenoptera: Apidae) in the Northeastern United States. Journal of Economic Entomology. doi.org/10.1093/jee/toy377
- Nderitu, W. P., J.J. Muturi, Otieno, M., Arunga, E., Johnsson, M. (2018). Tomato Leaf miner (Tuta absoluta) (Meyrick 1917) (Lepidoptera: Gelechiidae) prevalence and farmer management practices in Kirinyanga County, Kenya. Journal of Entomology and Nematology, Vol. 10(6),pp.43-49.
- Lichtenberg E., Otieno, M., et al. (2017) A global synthesis of the effects of diversified farming systems on arthropod diversity within fields and across agricultural landscapes. Global Change Biology: DOI: 10.1111/gcb.13714.
- Joshi, N.K., Otieno, M., Rajotte, E.G., Fleischer, S.J. and Biddinger D.J. (2016) Proximity to Woodland and Landscape Structure Drives Pollinator Visitation in Apple Orchard Ecosystem. Frontiers of Ecology and Evolution. DOI: dx.doi.org/10.3389/fevo.2016.00038
- Stanley, D. Otieno, M., Steijven, K., Piironen, T., Willmer, P. and Nuttman, C. (2016) Pollination ecology of Desmodium setigerum (Fabaceae) in Uganda; Do big bees do it better? Journal of Pollination Ecology. Vol. 18.
- Otieno M., Sheena C.S., Woodcock, B.A., Wilby, A., Vogiatzakis, I.N., Mauchline, A.L., Gikungu, M.W. and Potts S.G. (2015). Local and landscape effects on bee functional guilds in pigeon pea crops in Kenya. Journal of insect Conservation. 19(4); 647-658. DOI: 10.1007/s10841-015-9788-z.
- Garibaldi, L.A., Otieno, M. et al. (2015) Trait matching of flower visitors and crops predicts fruit set better than trait diversity. Journal of Applied Ecology. 52 (6); 1436-1444. DOI: 10.1111/1365-2664.12530.
- Joshi N. K., Leslie, T., Rajotte, E.G., Kammerer, M.A., Otieno M. and Biddinger, B.J. (2015). Comparative Trapping Efficiency to Characterize Bee Abundance, Diversity, and Community Composition in Apple Orchards. Annals of the Entomological Society of America. 108(5):785-799. DOI: 10.1093/aesa/sav057.
- Garibaldi, L.A., Otieno, M. et al. (2013). Wild insects enhance global crop pollination even when honey bees are abundant. Science: 339(6127); 1608-1611.
- Kennedy, C., Otieno, M. et al. (2013). A global quantitative synthesis of local and landscape effects on native bee pollinators across heterogeneous agricultural systems. Ecology Letters. 16(5); 584-599.
- Norfolk, O., Sadiki, L., Broughton, B., Otieno, M. and Nuttman, C. (2013) Tea breaks: how flower-visitors can benefit from un-planned floral buffer-strips in a Tanzanian tea plantation. African Journal of Ecology. 51; 380–384.
- Otieno, M., Woodcock, B.A., Wilby, A., Vogiatzakis, N.G., Mauchline, A.L., Gikungu, M and Potts, S.G. (2011) Local management and landscape drivers of pollination and biological control services in a Kenyan agro-ecosystem. Biological Conservation. 144 (10); 2424-2431.
- Nuttman, C.V., Otieno, M., Kwapong, P.K., Combey, R., Willmer, P.G. and Potts, S.G. (2011) Aerial pan-trapping: a method for assessing insect pollinators in tree canopies. Kansas Journal of Insect Science. 84(4); 260 - 270.
Presentation of Papers at Academic and Professional Conferences
- Otieno, M., Fleischer, S.J. and Watrous, K. Ecosystem service delivery in diverse tropical and temperate agricultural systems: the role of landscape context and farm management. 62nd ESA Annual Meeting, November 16–19, 2014. Portland, OR. USA.
- Otieno, M., Biddinger, J.B., Joshi, K.J., Fleischer, S.J., Rajotte, E.G. The role of landscape heterogeneity surrounding uniformly managed orchards in enhancing apple pollination. Eastern Branch 2014 Annual Meeting, March 15–18, 2014, Williamsburg, VA, USA.
- Otieno M., Biddinger, D. J., Fleischer, S. J. Joshi, N. K. and Rajotte E. The uniqueness of Pennsylvania landscape in determining the community composition of native bees delivering pollination services to apples. 61st ESA Annual Meeting, November 10–13, 2013, Austin, TX. USA.
- Otieno, M., Woodcock, B.A., Wilby, A., Vogiatzakis, N.G., Mauchline, A.L., Gikungu, M and Potts, S.G. (2013) Local management and landscape structure drive pollinator community and crop pollination in East Africa, International Conference on Pollinator Biology, Health and Policy August 14-17, 2013, University Park, PA, USA.
- Otieno, M., Woodcock, B.A., Wilby, A., Vogiatzakis, N.G., Mauchline, A.L., Gikungu, M. and Potts, S.G. Functional responses of bee communities to local management and landscape structure in pigeon pea cropping system in Kenya. 50th Anniversary of the Association of Tropical Biodiversity and Conservation and the Organization for Tropical Studies, June 23 – 27, 2013. San Jose, Costa Rica.
- Otieno, M., Woodcock, B.A., Wilby, A., Vogiatzakis, N.G., Mauchline, A.L., Gikungu, M and Potts, S.G. Linking landscape context and local habitat management to insect pollination and pest control in pigeon pea.10th INTECOL Conference, August 16 21, 2009. Brisbane Australia.
- Otieno, M. The interactive effects of landscape context and farm management on pollinators and natural enemies of pests in pigeon pea. Poster presentation: Society for Conservation Biology Global Meeting, July 13-18, 2008 Chattanooga, TN., USA.
- Otieno, M. The role of pro-poor nature based businesses in promoting wildlife conservation in wildlife migratory corridors of Kenya. Student Conference for Conservation Science, March, 21-23, 2005 Cambridge, UK.
- Otieno, M. The ecological impact of the invasive water hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes) on the phytoplankton community diversity in wastewater habitats in Kenya. Society for Conservation Biology Conference, July, 2003, Minnesota, USA.